Saturday 9 April 2011

And the world's all right with me...

Another beautiful day and the Boy and I made the most of it and had a day trip to Greenwich. It's only 10 minutes on the train from where we live, but we decided to tourist it up to the max, and we walked up to Waterloo and caught the City Cruise boat from the pier by the London Eye for a leisurely trip down the river.


It took over an hour and was a beautiful way to take in the sights that are so familiar to us that we don't really look at them properly any more. It's easy to take London for granted and think "oh yes, there's St Paul's" and walk past. From the boat we could see our home town again with new eyes in slower, softer focus, and I enjoyed being reminded of what a beautiful city we live in. I can't wait to take this baby - and any more children we are blessed enough to have - around some of the sights and enjoy the beautiful parks with him... or her.

I love Greenwich. Once we arrived we sat in the beautiful park and had a picnic and read the papers leisurely, commenting on some of the stories of the day together. We then walked up the slopes to the Royal Observatory and took in the outstanding views - from the Shard (right by where we live), the City of London, St Paul's, Canary Wharf and Docklands, the O2 (formerly the Millennium Dome) and round to Stratford and the new Olympic stadium. It is quite something and when it's as sunny and clear as it was today you really can see for miles.



We wandered back towards the station via the Queen's House (below), my favourite place in Greenwich. It was our first choice for our wedding reception - until we realised that it came with a £20k price tag. Maybe for the vows renewal in a few years...! And we cut through the market, as thriving and bustling as always and celebrating its 25th year in business.


There were lots of families out today making the most of the gorgeous day, and I couldn't help but watch the young children in the park. Those taking their first tentative steps under the watchful eyes of mum and dad, more confident toddlers playing with their dogs, older children playing frisbee with siblings and friends... I guess I was engulfed by archetypal summer family scenes, caught up in a movie in which I don't yet have a part.

My mind wanders to Monday... just two days now until the scan. While I am enjoying the fantastic weather and special time with the Boy (I don't plan to see or speak to anyone else but him this weekend!) I am aware there is a constant undercurrent of anxiety. It sometimes subsides, but then unexpectedly surges and catches my breath. I so hope that come Monday everything will fall into place and the Boy and I can begin to relax a little more and enjoy this super special time.

No comments:

Post a Comment