Wednesday 30 March 2011

Ruffian

I'm pretty poorly today and I'm feeling more than a little bit sorry for myself. I've felt like I've been wrestling with a bug for the last week or so, and it's now decided to come out with a vengeance. I'm full of cold and sore throat, and I also have a fever - one minute I'm absolutely boiling, the next I'm shivering. Not great stuff.

I'm not a brilliant patient at the best of times. For someone like me who loves being in control and likes to be able to do 20 different things at once, being ill especially sucks. I find it very hard to give in to an illness and just rest. That concept isn't really in my programming! Invariably I'm at home in the flat when I'm ill as well, and spending lots of time in bed or on the sofa I start to see all the jobs that need doing - cleaning, dusting, decorating, washing... and I find it hard to resist the urge to get up and start organising the place.

Being ill while I'm pregnant feels even worse than normal. Even though I know it's a common cough and cold bug that will pass in a few days, I can't help but worry about the timing and whether this will have any impact on the baby. I also can't really take anything much to stave off the bug. When I've felt the onset of a cold before I've stocked up on Beechams flu tablets or get the trusty Lemsip out, and I normally manage to catch it in time before it progresses to full impact. But now all I can rely on is the odd paracetamol to keep my temperature down and it's not really doing much of a job.

Yesterday I let myself get a bit overwhelmed and upset by it all but I'm hoping today will go better, and I'm going to try my damnedest to relax and rest, and encourage this bug to make its way out of my little system. So, daytime television and magazines beckon - and I'll try and turn a blind eye to any chores that might need doing.... until tomorrow at least!

No comments:

Post a Comment